Little girl’s legacy to Disney ward’s children
Hannah was diagnosed a few weeks after her birth with meconium aspiration, a medical condition that affects newborn infants. Having swallowed meconium during her birth she suffered brain damage and developed cerebral palsy. Due to her condition she became a regular visitor to the Disney Ward.
Hannah’s parents, Louise and James Mitchell of Scunthorpe, organised a quiz night to raise funds in her memory at the Robert Holme Hall in Scunthorpe.
The evening, hosted by hospital consultant Mr Iain Chambers, raised over £2,000 in Hannah’s memory. The funds raised were donated to Hannah’s school, St Luke’s Primary, and the Disney ward.
Staff Nurse Judy Algar, Hannah’s Grandma Margaret Anderson, Louise Mitchell, Sharon Vickers and James Mitchell holding the patient monitoring systems with engraved plaque in memory of Hannah Mitchell.
The funds were used to purchase new patient monitoring systems which are used to monitor the children whilst they are on the ward. The system is usually fixed at the bedside and children remain in bed whilst being monitored.
Hannah’s family purchased mobile patient monitoring systems so that the children using them can move around and be in the play room whilst still being monitored. They system is also fitted with an alarm to alert the nurses should children need immediate attention.
In memory of Hannah the systems were ordered with a pink case and a plaque that reads “In memory of Hannah Mitchell, loved & cherished missed everyday by all that knew her.”
Hannah’s mum Louise said: “Hannah became like one of the family here, she spent so much of her life on the ward, and she was so well looked after by all the staff.”
Disney ward Sister, who managers Disney ward, Sharon Vickers said: “Hannah was well loved by all on the ward with her cheeky character she always made everyone smile. The whole family is certainly one we will never forget.”